Happy New Year!
2013 has been hanging around for about a month now. January and I have a bit of a complicated history, what with celebrations and holidays and my birthday and anniversary all rolled into December, January hasn't had much of a chance. This year I had been giving it time to grow on me, to enjoy the cold, white landscape and the quiet of the post celebrating season. Many of those around me, including myself, have not had an easy time of it this January however, so I would like to take some time to look back at 2012 for a bit. What follows is my biggest of, happiest of, best of, most life changing of 2012...enjoy!
1. Pinterest. I always tear out pictures and articles from magazines to keep for later reference. That is the digital genius of Pinterest. Last January in my bleak mid-winter, I plunged in and joined Pinterest. I. was. hooked. In a word. Pinterest is therapy. It is the perfect way to take a break, read a little, laugh, look at pretty pictures, recharge, grab some creativity and connect. It also finds it's way into real life conversations, so Pinterest is just another piece that women are stitching into the modern version of the Quilting Bee.
2. Downtown Abbey. For this section you may pull out your British accent. Go ahead, it's ok. I'm going to. Last January when my mom broke her ankle, she ordered a little series on DVD called Downtwon Abbey. She said I could watch them after she was done, and she was soon raving about them. It only took one episode to know why; the the theme music, the setting, the story, the actors...it is crazy good and addicting all in that magical way that great stories are. It helped me weather a stressful, emotional late winter last year and I said earlier this month on my Facebook page that "Every winter needs a British drama=) Thank heavens for Downtown Abbey!!" That it does.
3. Blogging. I have had the privilege of blogging for several years, first under the name of my previous business, and this year I transitioned out on my own with new wings as HollieJoyInTheMorning. I have always loved writing, but haven't made or had much time to pursue it, and I am so thankful for the platform of the blogosphere where so many, including me, can write on our time, in our voice and share with so many so instantaneously. It pushes me to embark on projects I might not otherwise try (seeing above: Pinterest;)), to grow in my photography and writing, to share something on my heart and to meet so many amazing people publishing their own blogs.
9. Project of the Year. I have completed more projects for our home and my enjoyment this year. It has gone along way to balance years of having no time for anything of my own. And I think when all is said and done, ta-da! This is my most favorite project that I completed this year. Funny, it was also the easiest, the one Mark helped me with and the most impactful. I found six of these amazing minty green former school science lab table bases this summer. I sold several, but kept two for, something. It finally clicked when Mark and I decided to put my vintage door on top and install it in my scrapbook room/office as my work surface. Is my room completed? NO. There is much to sort and organize and decorate. However, my room, the long neglected, storage dumping place, last room to conquer finally has structure. And some fine bones at that.
10. 40. No, you read that right. I turned 40 this past December. And contrary to what I thought I wanted, I decided I just wanted to have a low key birthday; no huge parties, no big look at me I'm 40 anything. And so I spent my milestone quietly celebrating with my family, enjoying them and the sweet surprises they gifted me with. I love presents and I quite loved all of the thoughtful and kind gifts and gestures, cards and hugs I received. One gift, does stand out a bit though. My oldest son gave me "40 hours of Shopping" to complete by December 31st at midnight. At first I thought it was a 40 joke, but it was REAL! I used each and every minute of guilt free shopping, both alone and with my mom and sisters, in all sort of wonderfully configured hours. And you can bet I can some incredible deals and finds out of that bargain.
So there they are. My Other Top Ten of 2012 list. There are many compolations out there, thanks for taking the time to read mine. I hope your 2013 is filled with as many joys as you can stand, and until my next blog, I'll be scouting out more to bring back to you!