Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fifty shades of pink...

Making sugar cookies tonight, I thought, what does Valentine's Day mean to me this year? Because really, this is a holiday that relies on feelings, emotions, mood, none of which are stable.  Does it matter that I make it a big deal in my life and in my family's life?  I think it does.
 So, even while I was exhausted today, catching up on all the creative projects I had wanted to earlier this week when my dryer conveniently broke, I found love for the shades of Valentine's Day. 
I love my mix of vintage cookie cutters~I know you've got your eye on that red beauty I found this year.  And I found a cup-cut-out cutter at World Market (my new favorite store this winter) this month to add to my collection.  So now I have sweet sugar cookies to share with my sweet cookies.
 I come by my love of celebrating holidays honestly.  My family all gathered for a pre-Valentine's lunch out and presents back at my house.  Of course we needed dessert, so I dreamed up these cute cupcakes, made the easy way: white cake box mix, pink lemonade frosting in a container and plenty of fun sprinkles for the boys and I to overuse.  The mustache (and lips)? From Target.
 This idea came to me when I found these ca-ute cups at Target.  I added mustache stickers I had on hand and now I have the "muscht"-have cups of the year!
 To go inside the cups I baked a double batch of our favorite Chocolate Glaciers, just sweet-ed up for Valentines by setting them in cupcake liners.
 I remembered tonight, the night before Valentine's Day, that of course I meant to stamp out tags for the boy's teachers.  So I used some of my most favorite and versatile of papers, the paint chip!
 Here is the after shot of the cup-cut-out cookies,all packaged and ready for delivery to some special people tomorrow.  Have I mentioned how much I love baker's twine?  There's a little roll of Martha's peeking out behind the cup.
 And here is a shot of my first (ill-fated) gift.  It was going to be spectacular.  Instead, it was a spectacular failure.  I made the bacon caramel fudge (I know, makes you want to weep doesn't it), but because I am still learning how to substitute for dairy effectively in candy, I ended up with a very, very soft product best eaten frozen.
 Beautiful isn't it?  Thank goodness my husband and oldest don't mind at all eating it frozen.  Good thing, I made enough to last them awhile.
I've learned that it sometimes takes a few days, or hours, depending on my timeline, to actually catch a vision for a project I want to do.  I wanted to attempt another chalkboard piece on our wall but wasn't sure what or how I wanted to create it.  This lovely vintage postcard gave me the idea for the lettering and swirling...
And the phrase came to me from the end of the famous love passage in 1 Corinthians 13.  And I love being reminded of this now every day.
So, after contemplating, yes, I am sweet on Valentine's Day for many of the reasons I have been since I was young...the cookies...
the sweets...
cute heartbreakers...
crazy fun boys (my three here)...and my sweet sisters (one featured there)...
adorable kids...(this one I'm partial too)...
the sweet and simple...
and grand displays of love...
Valentines in the mail, and hand delivered...

handmade with love gifts received...
and those made with love by my hands.
I promise that no quality books were harmed in this project...I just had to have hearts cut out of the "L" section of my not so pretty dictionary, along with craft and red and music lined paper...
to adorn my Valentine tree by the front door.  My brother in law said it was the only one he'd ever seen.  I took that to mean it is the best one he's ever seen.  
My extra hearts went to freshen up my winter wreath, to greet visitors with some heart.
When  I envisioned my heart tree, I also imagined glitter deer...I know, it's amazing how my mind works.  Two (expensive, and not because of the deer) trips to Hobby Lobby later, I had my supplies.
And glitter deer were born.  Oh dear, one of you needs a little more glitter...
The other three are going to some dear women.
I love you, Valentine's Day, for all the reasons above and a few more.  For all your shades of pink, for the fun and quirky puns you play with, and for the fantastic design, fonts and typography you inspire.
For paper products vintage and modern that make me swoon...
For red hearts...
 and handwritten greetings...
for arrows (because I love signs)...
and for giving us a reason to purposely plan and carry out acts of love at the end of a long winter.
"The greatest of these is love..."  May your day be filled with lovely greetings, sweet treats and moments of pure love~
Hollie Joy

4 comments:

  1. Fifty ways I love this blog! Such a misunderstood holiday, so thank you for highlighting its true meanings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LoVe this Hollie!! You and your family celebrating together, that's what makes my heart happy, and all those cute boys!

    Xox Glad & Cel

    ReplyDelete